Pumpkin Lasagna
Cooking Breakdown
I chose this recipe because I wanted to make something that fit the fall season and used pumpkin.
It turned about really good! As always the recipe is linked below.
Taste Scale
8/10
Prompt Responses
1. My new occupation is going well! I am very happy with how I am progressing. This past week, I was able to pick a new recipe and riff off the instructions, rather than following them to the letter. I had a lot more fun cooking because I was able to engage in a more creative process. For example, I switched out a couple of ingredients to better tailor the dish to my liking.
2. Looking at the model, I find that my occupation oscillates between G (interest) and H (attentional boredom). Based on what I described this week, concerning the progress with my cooking, my cooking was balanced in the resources/skills I had and the demand/level of skill required for my recipe. I also found meaning in what I was doing, because it aligned with my long term goal of becoming a proficient cook (i.e. option G). Some weeks my occupation falls into the H category because, while it aligns with my long term goals, the level of skill required is beyond the skill set that I currently have.
3. Looking at the model, I find that my occupation oscillates between G (interest) and H (attentional boredom) (Westgate & Steidle, 2020). Based on what I described this week, concerning the progress with my cooking, my cooking was balanced in the resources/skills I had and the demand/level of skill required for my recipe. I also found meaning in what I was doing, because it aligned with my long term goal of becoming a proficient cook (i.e. option G). Some weeks my occupation falls into the H category because, while it aligns with my long term goals, the level of skill required is beyond the skill set that I currently have.
Because I struggle with boredom, I am often more willing to try new occupations. I also feel like I need to fill up my time with some kind of occupation that is unrelated to things that I need to do, but rather want to do. I was able to meet in the middle of this spectrum as my meal prepping occupation is both something I need to do and want to do. Since, I often don’t know what to do, and I feel bored, I end up scrolling on my phone, or get a treat to eat. These occupations have started to contribute to my boredom, as I have developed a habit of doing those occupations whenever I am bored and have free time. That being said, I was very happy when we were required to pick up a new occupation, because I saw this as an opportunity to break away from those occupations that end up leaving me just as bored as doing nothing.
References
Westgate EC, Steidle B. Lost by definition: Why boredom matters for psychology
and society. Soc Personal Psychol Compass. 2020;14:e12562. https://doi.org/10.1111/spc3.12562
https://www.howsweeteats.com/2020/09/pumpkin-lasagna-rollups/


Hi Gaby!
ReplyDeleteI love looking through your blog because you always choose unique dishes! I've never heard of pumpkin lasagna, but it reminds me of recipes where soup is cooked inside of a pumpkin. That's on my bucket list to try this fall season!
I also relate to your experiences of boredom and am curious if you see boredom as a positive or negative emotion in your life?
Hi Cambrie! I see boredom as both positive and negative. I really identified with what we discussed in lecture (that boredom could act as an agent to spur growth and creativity). I find that I try to choose recipes that are unique because I don't want sameness and routine (i.e. boredom). Since I often pick recipes that are a little out there, I am usually kept on my toes so I don't ever feel bored, haha. Boredom can definitely be negative as well. In other areas of my life I have found boredom brings out some of my unhealthiest behaviors (e.g. procrastination, lazing around, etc.). I am glad this recipe was added to your bucket list! Cheers!
DeleteGabriella, this is such a fun dish and something I would never think to make! I always find myself in a state of boredom with cooking when i am really busy or really tired and I don't want to cook. It can be hard with occupations such as cooking and other ADLs and IADLs since they can become boring but they are so important to our lives. Do you think the more complicated the recipe the less boring it can be? Or vice versa? I can't wait to see what you create next!
ReplyDeleteHi Emma, thanks for commenting! Yes, I hear you about being bored with cooking when you have about a million other things to do, or are just burnt out. Cooking definitely doesn't hold your attention when you need to be elsewhere. I actually talked with Cambrie about this in my reply to her comment. I always choose recipes that are "a little out there," so as not to be bored. Haha, hence pumpkin lasagna. Honestly, it depends. If the recipe is too complicated I do find myself getting bored because the demand is too high. If the recipe is too simple then I also get bored. It has to be a happy medium between the recipe and my skill set in order for me to find my flow. Cheers!
Delete