Hong Shao Rou (Red Braised Pork, 红烧肉)
Hong Shao Rou (Red Braised Pork, 红烧肉)
My chosen occupation is meal prep. I have chosen to pursue meal preparation because I feel it is a necessary
part of being a successful adult and student. My parents are good cooks, and most of my friends in undergrad
engaged in meal prepping. The friends and students that cooked appeared to have more disciplined and
balanced lives, and overall seemed like better students. I realize that cooking doesn't equate to being a
successful student, but that was my initial perception accurate or not. My occupational biography has mostly
consisted of me being a student. I never played sports or had very many permanent hobbies. I always jumped
between things I was interested in. Throughout school, I always felt like a good student but not the best that I
could be. My lack of cooking skills always felt like a hindrance to becoming the fully functional and
independent student I wanted to be.
My current viewpoint is if I am not efficient in cooking, then I have to eat out and that can quickly become
financially draining. Also, if I don't cook I don't have a very realistic way in which to eat healthily. When I
eat less processed food I have noticed that I feel more energized and study better. Because of previous
perceptions of those I have close relationships with I am engaging in selfing, through cooking, to create the
student identity that I want (e.g. well balanced, efficient, independent, etc.). In this case, I can see that cooking
is tied to feelings of self esteem, and becoming a better cook gives more meaning to my occupational identity
as a student.
References
Ruth Kjærsti Raanaas, Anne Lund, Unni Sveen & Mona Asbjørnslett (2019) Re-creating self-identity and meaning through occupations during expected and unexpected transitions in life, Journal of Occupational Science, 26:2, 211-218, DOI: 10.1080/14427591.2019.1592011
https://omnivorescookbook.com/hong-shao-rou/





Hi Gabriella! The meal that you made for this week looks amazing. I agree with your perspective that it feels like if you have prepared meals, then your life seems a lot easier! A lot of brain power goes into; What should I make for dinner? What ingredients do I have? How much time do I have? What else could I be doing instead of cooking? These are all the questions that I find I am asking myself on a daily basis. As I am responding to your discussion now, I am ordering Doordash which is not a healthy habit.
ReplyDeleteHave you noticed meal prepping having an influence on how you see yourself in terms of responsibility and discipline so far? If so, does meal prepping allow you to have more time for other roles or occupations in your life?
Hi Sophia! Thank you, it was actually really delicious. Meal prepping has actually has been super helpful in establishing a routine! So yes, I do feel much more disciplined because I have to be very strategic in my planning to get everything done. Since it is a required occupation, and I need it to eat at school, it is a fixture on my weekends that I work around. Overall, I have had less time for other occupations, lol. I am not a very good cook and this has been a learning curve, so it has been more time consuming! Thanks for commenting on my blog!
Delete