Swiss Chicken

 


Cooking Breakdown

Taste scale 7/10
Recipe linked below
Note: Use thighs instead of chicken leg quarters like me :)

Prompt Responses

  1. So far my occupation is still going well. However, this week, after making my meal prep dish, I came to find out I used an ingredient that wasn’t very practical for daily meals . I made a chicken dish but instead of using regular chicken thighs I used chicken leg quarters. As such, I didn’t realize I had to pull apart the leg and the thigh, and then cut away any residual bone around the thigh area. After cooking the quarters I just had giant pieces of chicken that I had to separate before I could take a piece to school. In the future, I know how to better prepare the chicken and to separate the portions before cooking.

  2. I have definitely experienced a flow state almost every time I engage in activities such as work (cleaning) and leisure (reading). For instance when I am cleaning my house (e.g vacuuming, dusting, folding laundry, cleaning the bathroom), I lose track of time, have a balance between skill and challenge (i.e. I can complete tasks without thinking), I know what I have to accomplish (i.e. have a clear goal), and am completely absorbed with what I am doing. These characteristics of flow are also met when reading for fun. I should note that is not the case with academic reading in which, depending on the content, there can be less of a balance between my current knowledge of a topic (skill), and the content provided (challenge) (Nakamura & Csikszentmihalyi, 2022)

  3. I believe in my occupation of meal preparation I definitely have moments of flow, but they aren’t as common. I don’t know if it will ever be possible for me to have consistent flow experiences in meal prepping. This is because I am constantly trying new recipes, and will sometimes pick meals that are beyond my skill level. I think it will take me repeating some of the recipes I have already cooked, and being more conscientious about the skill level required for the recipes I pick to be able to engage in flow more consistently. Right now I would say that when cooking, I am engaging in mindfulness as I have to be more consciously aware of what I am doing, due to my inexperience.


References 


https://lilluna.com/creamy-swiss-chicken-bake/

Tse, D.C.K., Nakamura, J., & Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2022). Flow experiences across adulthood: Preliminary findings on the continuity hypothesis. Journal of Happiness Studies, 23, 2517-2540. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-022-00514-5




Comments

  1. Hi Gabriella! That chicken looks pretty tasty! I have always wanted to meal prep but can’t seem to ever find the motivation. Do you ever struggle wanting to meal prep each week? If so, how do you overcome that lack of motivation? Asking for a friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sadie! I do struggle with that! I pick an easy recipe, I put on music or an audiobook to make it fun (I am listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire right now), and I get something fun to drink while I cook. Sometimes I will face time family members and they will meal prep with me. I found those have been the most helpful for me. I hope this can help your friend ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts