Brown Butter Pumpkin Choco Chip Cookies
I don’t think I have ever had very consistent occupational balance. I would say the most occupationally balanced time in my life was when I was getting my undergraduate degree. I went to school, worked, and was able to socialize with my friends. At different points, I had a good balance between the things I needed to do and things I wanted to do. In those rare moments, I was able to dedicate a similar amount of time to each area, and many of the things I needed to do I also enjoyed doing (e.g. I loved my job). While I had areas I wanted to grow in, I was comfortable with my identity as a student, a friend, and phlebotomist (my job for most of my undergraduate career). More often than not, the times I felt balanced were due to taking a lighter load in school, because I was able to be more than just a full time student.
Since starting graduate school, I have realized that my idea of balance between what I need to do and want to do has got to change. In the article we read, occupational balance is defined as “a satisfying pattern of daily occupations that is healthful, meaningful, and sustainable to an individual within the context of his or her current life circumstances,” (Eklund et al., 2010). Balance, for me, no longer means that I should aim to spend equal amounts of time on both occupations, because it isn’t realistic. Now, if I am not too busy, I aim to participate in an occupation I want to do about once a week. More often than not, this activity ends up being my cooking occupation. Another way I try to achieve balance is by finding meaning in my everyday occupations. Since school is arguably my most meaningful/valued occupation, I am always reminding myself of its value to avoid becoming burnt out. I believe achieving occupational balance will be something I will be working towards my whole life.




I love cookies with browned butter. I have a recipe for browned butter pumpkin snicker doodles. Mmmmm. I wonder where you are getting your recipes.
ReplyDeleteI like how you have taken one day a to participate in one occupation that you want to do. I think it is interesting that you are using a new frame of reference to think of your graduate school work as your meaningful occupation, as opposed to a list of occupations of what you need to do. I think the attitude we have about our work can change a drudgery to a joy.
Hi Kelli, thanks for commenting! I have actually been getting a lot of my recipes from Pinterest. Yes, how we view how we primarily spend our time has a huge impact on our mental health and wellbeing. I know eventually school will be replaced with another occupation (e.g. our OT career), so I think its important to practice this habit now.
ReplyDelete